Been fighting creative blocks for a while now — I mean, a lot of folks are, I daresay — and it’s been frustrating getting stuck in cycle after cycle of have idea -> ponder idea -> get stuck -> stew in own juices -> get another idea to add to pile -> infinitum.
But this one, I got through the block! Yay!
So here are 48 rules-light-style spells; twelve spells for each season.
(these are the seasons as I think of them; I’m not claiming some season-primacy here yo)
They’re formatted for pocketrpg but it should be pretty easy to suss them out and adapt them to other level-less rules light systems — and if you don’t want to take the seasonal route, just mix em’ up anyway —
Options: Someone who learns from a season cannot learn its “opposite”; someone who learns from a season can learn no other season’s magic, but may acquire non-seasonal magics freely
01. Coldsleep: The chill of the season falls. Living beings Nearby fall asleep until warmed.
02. Be Still: Sorcerous cold stiffens flesh and unliving matter both, forcing target into frozen stasis for 1d4 hrs. (spend Essence to extend duration; 1/day – week – month)
03. Hoarfrost: Coats an area up to Far Away in glittering frost; reveals illusions, spirits and invisible creatures, and places tests against Winter magic at Disadvantage for 1d6 actions.
04. Icedrop Clarity: Target must still for at least one action; then an actionable answer to one question, decision or puzzle unfolds in mind’s eye. Advantage on next related action.
05. Night Unending: Cloaks area no larger than one farm in cold darkness, as if the sun never rises. 2d4 days. 1 Essence.
06. Shivering Cloak: Wraps subject in silvery white aura, halving all harm from heat, fire, or mental addling for 2 hrs.
07. The Calm Of Snowfall: Beings Nearby are overcome by the still silence of winter and must make Psyche checks at Disadvantage to act. 2d6 actions.
08. Diamond Dust: Flurry of glittering icy particles, sharp as razors, inflict 1d4 damage on 2d4 targets that are Nearby.
09. Icereaver: Conjures a sword or other bladed weapon of steel-strong ice, which deals an extra 1d2 damage from cold in addition to normal damage or stuns a struck target, costing them their next action. 2d6 actions.
10. Frozen Poise: As cool and precise as an ice sculpture, the subject gains +2 for all attributes when testing in social interactions where poise and calm clarity are of value. 2 hrs.
11. Long Cold Winter: Extinguish all sources of heat and light within visual range. They remain extinguished for 24 hrs. 1 Essence.
12. Whiteout: Cloak all in visual range in a blizzard that makes travel impossible and limits vision to 1d6x10′ at any given time. 4d4 hrs. 1 Essence.
01. Refreshing Flutter: In a rippling breeze, the subject is like new: cleaned, groomed, small blemishes or hurts healed, and energized to boot, with +1 to their next action.
02. Hope Brings Rain: Calls the rains down within visual range for 1d8 hrs; choose the rainfall amount wisely! — with a 1-in6 chance of a destuctive downpour regardless of intent.
03. Awakening: Pale rose-green energies invigorate up to 2d3 allies, granting them an extra action.
04. Verdant Renewal: Cause plants (even seeds) which are Here to gain a month’s growth, or a tree to burst into foliage and blossoms.
05. Brightbolt: Sudden lightning strike deals 1d8 damage to chosen target, even Far Away.
06. Mists Of Springtide: Cloaks an area up to Far Away in gentle mists that grant Advantage on cover and sneaking to all within them. 1d4 hrs.
07. The Sweetest Draught: Draw from a blossom or cluster of blossoms at least the size of one’s fist enough nectar to fill a small waterskin. Becomes alcoholic by the next day.
08. Threads Of Beginnings: Glance at a living creature and divine its place of origin and either two facts about its ancestry or what action it is currently likely to take in the future.
09. Whims Of Life: Cure, or cause, disease in one living being.
10. Cleansing: Immediately discern (by caster’s standards) the subjective and objective value, usage and proper placement of all objects within one room or equivalent area — and have them sorted, if needed.
11. Sprightly Returns: Energize self and up to 2d3 allies to travel twice as far before needing rest. Yes, this cerulean-green enchantment will also affect vehicles. 1 Essence.
12. Flowering Whispers: Whirls of creamy petals and golden dust leave 2d6 targets Nearby coughing and sneezing for 2d4 actions, able only to defend (and they still feel miserable for 2d6 hrs afterward).
01. Endless Day: Cloaks area no larger than one farm in warm daylight like high noon in summer. 2d4 days. 1 Essence.
02. Wildfire: Choose — either 2d6 Nearby targets take 1d8 damage from fire, or terrain up to house-size ignites. You cannot control the latter once unleashed. 1 Essence.
03. Heatwave: Addle 1d4 targets with warmth, leaving them confused and disoriented for 2d10 minutes or until cooled.
04. Tending Bounty: Designate one discrete location or subject. For the next 24 hrs, be aware of the condition of your chosen subject, and what it might need, whenever you wish.
05. Venomscourge: Burn out a poison or toxin.
06. Castles In The Sky: Create a detailed illusion that covers as much as 50′ cubed, or convince up to 8 subjects of a vague mirage off on the horizon. 1d6 hrs.
07. To Your Health: Subject heals 2d3 Essence.
08. Zenith: Subject impresses all who see them, appearing as in the prime of life; grants +2 to relevant attributes on tests involving raucousness, joyful gatherings, and jocularity in general. 2 hrs.
09. Sunstroke: Inflict fever on a subject, leaving them at Disadvantage for all tests for 2d4 hrs or until sucessfull treated.
10. Raise The Roof: Breath of tawny-green energies infuses up to 8 individuals; work produced is completed in 1/3 of normal rate, if it involves constructing or creating physical objects or the net result could be considered ‘bounty’ in any form. 24 hrs. 1 Essence.
11. Sky-Devouring Swarm: Calls swarm of terrible tiny bitey bugs (blackflies, skeeters, noseeums, midges) which promptly descend, like they do. Designated Nearby targets lose an action and 1d2 Essence, and itch like the blazes afterwards.
12. Sunshiny Day: Create a brightly coloured token reflective of a pleasant memory, which may be shared with or gifted to another to share that memory. Being so reminded eases any mental or emotional malisons for a day.
01. Witherblast: Bolt of orange-red energy deals 1d4 Essence to chosen target and halves effective Body until target consumes a day’s worth of sustenance (not necessarily all at once).
02. Hunter’s Thread: Choose a general subject, bunnies to boletes, with token in hand (or make one); for the next 8 hrs, sense the direction of the closest example of that subject.
03. Concealing Brilliance: Clashing enchanted colours paradoxically make the subject effectively invisible. Or, simply change the colour of an inanimate object. (2d10 minutes/permanent)
04. Galeforce: Summon tempest-strong winds to batter and scour up to 10 miles for 1d6 hrs. 1 Essence.
05. Scarlet Wisdom Prudence: Envelop up to 2′ cubed of material in conjured, dull-scarlet stoneware-like material. The contents will remain fresh as the moment they were stored until the seal is broken and the lid lifted, then time proceeds as expected.
06. Knackery: Convert any carcass into 3d6 meals’ worth of portable, completely edible, nondescript “iron rations”. Carcass choice may cause some commentary, depending.
07. Cull The Weak: Determine the most vulnerable of all Nearby being, ranking all present. Learn the exact vulnerability of the weakest.
08. Stitch-In-Time: Divine answer to one question, so long as it involved preparation against the future or future events.
09. Scarecrow: Conjures a phantasm of shadow and broken straw, painted bones and tattered rags; 3d4 Nearby subjects flee or cower in fear.
10. Golden Sacrifice: Blood a willing subject; another subject heals the amount of Essence the subject loses. Willing subject may be the caster.
11. Flicker: Choose up to three general subjects, spirits included; subject becomes a beacon or lure for them for 4 hrs.
12. Harvest Token: Infuse a small object with crimson-gold sorcery, producing one of the following when token is used: sustenance (a full meal); comfort (protection from environment, 12 hrs); blessing (reroll once, or otherwise escape one dire circumstance). 1 Essence. You cannot possess more than one enchanted token at a time.