There’s folks all over the Edge that make their livelihoods from fishing out bits and bobs, curios and curiosities, unique materiel and stranger things from the primordia that washes up through the Ribbon Sea and seeps through the lands of the Edge —
And then there’s the folks who sieve nodules of calcified chaos through silk-silver nets and think, these shimmering pearls would make wonderful things to bonk someone with.
It does take all kinds.
And some of the shifting pearly things are actually good for the purpose! Non-murderous purpose, even!
Nodules of potential harvested from primordia, varying in size from hazelnut to walnut or thereabouts. Used as slingstones, they deliver various effects instead of injury, usually predictable from their colour (but not always — and some rarities may combine effects); some examples follow:
– Grey: Paralysis for 2-20 minutes
– Golden: Target struck glows like candle for one hour
– Scarlet: Heals last received injury / mends last damage dealt
– Rose: Disorientation for 4-16 minutes
– Cobalt: Displaces target 50′ in random direction (back/forward/left/right) and unoccupied area
– Emerald: Tiny plants and fungi slowly grow over target over next 24 hours
– Smoke: Sluggish and half-responsive for 2-12 minutes